By Phil McNulty
Chief soccer writer at Emirates Stadium
Alexis Sanchez made a goalscoring return to Arsenal to location Manchester United on their technique to a fourth-round FA Cup voice which makes it eight straight wins for intervening time manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer.
Sanchez has struggled to manufacture his handiest make since swapping Emirates Stadium for Ancient Trafford a year ago however became at his sharpest to purchase Romelu Lukaku’s expedient reverse proceed in his proceed and round Petr Cech to give United a thirty first-minute lead.
Lukaku became the creator yet again two minutes later as Jesse Lingard’s proper enact doubled United’s income – and though Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang pulled one aid earlier than the interval, Solskjaer’s facet had been forever on prime of issues.
United keeper Sergio Romero’s expedient attach from Aaron Ramsey at the starting up of the 2nd 1/2 became principal in holding Arsenal at bay and United had been rarely ever ever anxious afterwards.
Arsenal’s trigger became now not helped by injuries to key defenders Sokratis Papastathopoulos and Laurent Koscielny; substitute Anthony Martial wrapping up United’s newest success when he pounced after Petr Cech could well perhaps handiest palm out Paul Pogba’s shot with eight minutes of fashioned time left.
- Lukaku tops your player rankings
- ‘Man Utd’s stars admire completely different gamers beneath Solksjaer’
- Relive the circulation and prepare reaction right here
- Pointers on how to prepare the rest of the FA Cup fourth round
Sanchez shows make by some means
Sanchez moved from Arsenal to Manchester United with large fanfare, however the 30-year-dilapidated’s time at Ancient Trafford has largely been a depressing chronicle of injuries and shortage of make.
The Chilean made his return to the stadium where he became as soon as idolised having scored handiest Four objectives from 32 appearances, however right here he gave Arsenal’s fans a painful reminder of his fantastic.
He became tantalizing and mobile – playing on the left of United’s attacking trio with Lingard within the centre and Lukaku posted to a successful intention on the precise – and deserved his neatly-taken aim.
Sanchez now not grand the inevitable jeers to purchase his likelihood with serene and make a contribution to United’s attacking likelihood with valid thrust and vitality.
With the in-make Martial and Marcus Rashford starting up on the bench, Solskjaer will hope that is a signal of issues to advance aid from Sanchez as his United renaissance continues.
Night of bother for Arsenal
This disappointing defeat came at a heavy cost for Arsenal and manager Unai Emery – the exit from a competitors whereby he had excessive hopes of developing development compounded by extra injuries that could drain his defensive sources.
After shedding Hector Bellerin for 9 months to a knee damage sustained within the voice in opposition to Chelsea, Emery is now waiting on damage bulletins for Sokratis, who limped off early on with an ankle challenge after falling awkwardly, and Koscielny, whose facial damage resulted in 10 minutes of added time.
Emery’s facet need to now level of curiosity on ending within the pinnacle Four and progressing within the Europa League; very well-known the Spaniard’s speciality after winning the competitors in three successive years at Sevilla.
Arsenal by no intention recovered from that posthaste one-two between Lukaku and Sanchez factual after the 1/2 hour. It became forever going to be a season of transition after the Arsene Wenger generation and this became a hefty bump within the avenue on Emery’s gallop.
Man of the match – Romelu Lukaku
Match stats – a aim on daily foundation of the week for Aubameyang
- United have gained six suits at the Emirates – bigger than any completely different visiting facet has managed since Arsenal moved there at the starting up of the 2006-07 campaign.
- Since shedding 2-1 to Arsenal within the quarter-closing in March 2015, Manchester United have gained more FA Cup suits than any completely different team (sixteen).
- Manchester United have registered eight consecutive wins in all competitions for the first time since January 2017.
- Since the starting up of the 2014-15 season, Alexis Sanchez has scored 41 objectives in all competitions at the Emirates Stadium (40 for Arsenal, one for Man Utd) – 14 bigger than any completely different player.
- Neutral 149 seconds separated Manchester United’s first and 2nd objectives – they scored with their first two efforts heading within the precise route.
- Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang has scored on his Arsenal debut within the Premier League (v Everton), Europa League (v Vorskla Poltava) and FA Cup (v Man Utd).
- Manchester United striker Romelu Lukaku has scored Thirteen objectives and assisted Four in his last 15 FA Cup appearances.
- Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang has scored on all seven days of the week this season for Arsenal.
- Jesse Lingard has scored Four objectives for Manchester United in opposition to Arsenal in all competitions – double the number he has scored in opposition to any completely different opponent for the Red Devils.
Every facet are aid in Premier League circulation on Tuesday. Arsenal host Cardiff at 19:forty five GMT, with United at dwelling to Burnley quarter-hour later.