A Watford aspect brimming with attacking intent fought support from two targets down at half of-time to arrangement at dwelling to Arsenal in Quique Sanchez Flores’ first match since being reappointed Hornets supervisor.
The hosts fired in 31 shots – a club-document for a Premier League game – as Arsenal’s shaky defence finally cracked after the destroy.
Watford levelled the rankings when Roberto Pereyra rolled in a late penalty to obtain most engaging their second level of the season.
Tom Cleverley had earlier diminished the deficit when Gunners defender Sokratis Papastathopoulos gave away possession internal his maintain space.
Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang assign the company in entrance when he restful Sead Kolasinac’s pass on the flip sooner than firing previous Ben Foster.
Arsenal doubled their lead as Aubemeyang completed a sweeping team transfer however the hosts improved after the destroy as the Gunners unravelled in entrance of the vociferous dwelling increase.
The Hornets had their possibilities to entire an though-provoking comeback with a decisive 1/three, however the in any other case impressive Gerard Deulofeu dragged his effort narrowly broad.
The pause result sees Arsenal transfer into seventh, while the Hornets remain rooted to the underside.
Aubameyang papers over defensive frailties
The Arsenal striker is one of essentially the most medical forwards in the English high flight, having scored with seven of his final 9 shots heading in the correct path, and the Gunners are quite in a position to blowing teams away going forward due to the efficiency of Aubameyang and the technical capacity of Mesut Ozil and Dani Ceballos.
They demonstrated their attacking flair as they went through 20 passes for his or her second aim – however glaring factors remain on the support.
This was evident as early as the 10th minute as the red and white shirts backed off and residential opened up for Cleverley, whose fierce effort was effectively saved by Bernd Leno.
Five minutes later, and Etienne Capoue was given the identical time and residential however can also most engaging shoot over the bar.
The Gunners are desirous to play out from the support, and even supposing Matteo Guendouzi lost possession deep internal his maintain half of on two occasions they persevered with their come.
It was Sokratis who at final made the mistake that repeatedly regarded at possibility of happen, sooner than Deulofeu diverted the ball into Cleverley’s path for Watford’s first aim.
David Luiz was introduced in from London competitors Chelsea to shore up the defence over the summer, however the Brazilian has persisted a though-provoking few weeks before everything of his Arsenal career, and has now conceded two penalties in three matches.
Luiz introduced down Pereyra with a lunge in the final 10 minutes and the replace stepped up himself to lift the penalty and salvage a level for the hosts.
Trigger for optimism for bottom club
Watford welcomed Sanchez Flores for his second spell to blame at Vicarage Road with a shimmering commence as they regarded to impose themselves on the company.
They were in the ascendancy sooner than going in the support of against the lag of play as Will Hughes was dispossessed internal the Arsenal half of. Kolasinac burst down the replace pause and fed Aubemeyang to rifle dwelling.
Even after Aubemeyang doubled Arsenal’s lead Watford quiet sensed the company’ weakness was in playing out from the support they veritably crowded around Leno and his defenders, with the excessive press at final ensuing in Sokratis’ mistake.
The document 31 shots Watford produced was also a document for Arsenal, who hold by no blueprint faced more shots since Opta started gathering records.
The utter for Watford is that nearly all efficient 10 of their shots were heading in the correct path and the return of injured talisman Troy Deeney can not come soon adequate they peep to climb a ways flung from the underside of the table.
Man of the match – Pierre Emerick-Aubameyang (Arsenal)
‘They were stronger than us’ – what they acknowledged
Arsenal boss Unai Emery: “Physically they’re stronger than us so we’re desirous to destroy the traces from the aim-kick and join to Mesut Ozil, love we did with the foremost aim.
“Now we hold younger gamers, we’re working to toughen they veritably’re going to compose expertise from matches love lately. We can develop up and be taught with these mistakes.
“We knew that 2-zero was no longer adequate at half of-time. “
Watford boss Quique Sanchez Flores to Match of the Day: “Trust I disregarded the Premier League? Yeah. I leave out all these roughly emotions – I in discovering it irresistible.
“I used to be truly ecstatic with the efficiency of the gamers. Now we hold one level against a actually tricky team. It be suited for our self belief. We’re sure.”
Error inclined Arsenal – the stats
- This was the foremost time in 22 meetings all over all competitions that Watford and Arsenal hold drawn against one any other, having final completed so in December 1984 (1-1).
- Unusual Watford supervisor Sanchez Flores has most engaging lost one of his eight managerial meetings with Arsenal’s Unai Emery in all competitions (W3 D4 L1).
- This was the foremost time that Arsenal didn’t lift a Premier League match through which they were on the least two targets forward since April 2016 after they drew three-three with West Ham, and the foremost time Watford steer clear off defeat in the league after being on the least two targets in the support of since January 2018 v Southampton (2-2).
- Since his Premier League debut in February 2018, Arsenal forward Aubameyang has been without prolong serious about forty six targets in the competitors (37 targets, 9 assists); most engaging Mo Salah (fifty three) has had a hand in extra in this time.
- Aubameyang has been without prolong serious about five targets in his four Premier League appearances against Watford, scoring four cases and assisting once.
- Cleverley scored his first dwelling league aim for Watford since October 2017, which also got here against Arsenal, 701 days prior to now.
- Since the commence of ultimate season, Arsenal’s gamers hold made a combined 14 errors ensuing in opposition targets in the Premier League, on the least two more than any other club in this time.
- Since the commence of ultimate season, no aspect has conceded more targets through penalties in the Premier League than Arsenal (10 – level with Brighton), with the Gunners already having already conceded three this season on my own.
Watford hump to Manchester City on Saturday, 21 September (15:00 BST), while Arsenal face Eintracht Frankfurt away in the Europa League on Thursday sooner than net hosting Aston Villa on Sunday, 22 September (Sixteen:30).